24.4.13

RECIPE: CURRIED SWEET POTATO SOUP

I finally bought curry powder and I can't get enough!


Our lovely next door neighbour (who has some real talent in the kitchen!) put me onto the idea of making a sweet potato soup. She has made some pretty delicious soups herself, and I always look forward to the nights they invite us over for dinner. I have her to thank for recommending I buy and coconut milk (and coconut oil too!) which are two ingredients I now also can't get enough of! I have been meaning to make a pureed soup for ages, so after browsing through a few recipes that I found online, as always I combined my favourite aspects of multiple soups to create this curious curried concoction.

Soups are such a lovely and healthy way to be creative in the kitchen! Throw in whatever you think might taste good, and it probably will. Just remember to start with a little teeny bit. You can always add more, but you can't take out what you've put in! I've learned the hard way. Multiple times. Luckily, this soup turned out great the first time.

And for the record, Mark LOVED it too!


This all said and done, I almost ran into some problems. At first I thought I had way too many potatoes. Then I thought I added too much liquid. In the end, it turned out to be the perfect consistency, thick, but not too thick. So when you make it, don't worry. Just keep going! 

And the final product? Well you'll just have to try it out yourself to believe me! Delicious! It felt like all the best things about Autumn were in my mouth. I don't know if it's just the pregnancy cravings kicking in, but looking at these photos and trying to describe it's deliciousness is making me really want to make this again. And soon. Like really soon.

Here is the recipe! Also, be sure to check out our RECIPE INDEX page for a list of all of our recipes!


CURRIED SWEET POTATO SOUP


 INGREDIENTS
  • 3 lbs sweet potatoes, peeled, diced
  • 4 C vegetable broth (or broth of your choice)
  • 1 (15oz) can coconut milk
  • 1 sm apple, peeled, diced
  • 1 tsp nutmeg
  • 1 tsp ground cinnamon
  • 1/2 tsp pepper
  • 1/2 tsp sea salt
  • 1 Tbsp curry powder


DIRECTIONS
  1. Place all ingredients in a large soup pot & bring to a boil over medium heat. Cook at medium boil until apple & sweet potatoes are soft.
  2. Carefully pour all contents into a blender a bit at a time. Blend.



  EAT & ENJOY!

No comments:

Post a Comment